Aldo Chircop received a Doctorate in the Science of Law (JSD) from Dalhousie University in 1988. He is Professor of Law at the Schulich School of Law and a member of the Nova Scotia Bar. Dr Chircop's principal areas of research are in Canadian maritime law, international maritime law and international law of the sea. In particular, his maritime research focuses on the international regulation of shipping in polar regions, especially in the Arctic. He is Chair of the Comité Maritime International’s International Working Group on Polar Shipping. His previous positions included directorships of the Marine & Environmental Law Institute (MELAW), Marine Affairs Program (MAP), International Ocean Institute (IOI) and the Mediterranean Institute at the University of Malta.
Dr Chircop was also Canadian Chair in Marine Environment Protection at the IMO's World Maritime University in Malmö, Sweden. Dr. Chircop has published extensively in Canada and overseas.
- Aldo Chircop, Myron H Nordquist, John Norton Moore & Ronan Long, eds, The Regulation of Continental Shelf Development: Rethinking International Standards (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2013)
- Aldo Chircop, Norman G Letalik, Ted L McDorman& Susan J Rolston, eds, The Regulation of International Shipping: Essays in Honour of Edgar Gold (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2012)
- Aldo Chircop, Ted L McDorman & Susan J Rolston, eds, The Future of Ocean Regime-Building: Essays in Tribute to Douglas M Johnston (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2009)
- Aldo Chircop, TimoKoivurova, Erik Franckx, Erik J Molenaar, David L VanderZwaag, eds, Understanding and Strengthening European Union-Canada Relations in Law of the Sea and Ocean Governance, JuridicaLapponica 35 (Rovaniemi: University of Lapland, 2009)
- Aldo Chircop &Olof Linden, eds, Places of Refuge for Ships: Emerging Environmental Concerns of a Maritime Custom (Leiden: Nijhoff, 2006)
- Aldo Chircop, Edgar Gold & Hugh Kindred, Maritime Law (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2003)
- Aldo Chircop, Andre Gerolymatos & John O Iatrides, eds, The Aegean Sea After the Cold War: Security and Law of the Sea Issues (New York: Macmillan, 2000)
- Professor Chircop is co-editor of the Ocean Yearbook (University of Chicago Pess; Transnational Press; Nijhoff) since volume 13 (currently at volume 29)