Professor Huybrechts obtained his Doctorate degree from the Catholic University of Leuven in 1964 and continued his studies in the U.S. as a Fulbright scholar, where he obtained a LL.M degree from Berkeley. He started his academic career in 1971 when he was appointed as professor of Law at the Antwerp University (UFSIA). In 2005 he was appointed as auxiliary justice at the Antwerp Court of Appeal up to retirement age in 2008. In the past he was also an auxiliary judge at the Court of First instance in Antwerp and from 1975 till 1978 he was a full time judge at the Commercial Court of Antwerp. Since 2006 he is an arbitrator in the International Maritime Conciliation and Mediation Panel (London). Professor Huybrechts is the editor for transport law of the Encyclopaedia of International Law (Kluwer publishers) and a member of the advisory Board of the International Journal of Maritime Law.
He is a titulary member of the C.M.I. (Comité Maritime International) and has published numerous articles and books on comparative and maritime law. In 2007 he was appointed as member in the Royal Commission to revise the Belgian Maritime Code.
1. “Criminal liability of master and crew in oil pollution cases: a possible conflict between the law of the Sea Convention (UNCLOS, MARPOL and the European Directive 2005//35/EC” in Maritime pollution liability and policy: China, Europe and the U.S. / Faure, Michael [edit.], - Wolters Kluwer, Maastricht, 2010, p. 215-230.
2. “Limitation of liability” in The carriage of goods by sea under the Rotterdam rules / Thomas, D. Rhidian [edit.] - London, Informa Publishing, 2010.
3. Language that would make a sailor blush: afscheidscollege, Brussel, Larcier, 2007, 46 p.
4. “Protection of the marine environment under Belgian law” in Prevention and compensation of marine pollution damage: recent developments in Europe, China And the Us / Faure, Michael [edit.], Alphen aan den Rijn, Kluwer Law International, 2006, p. 119-135.
5. “Comparative marine insurance law: highlighting the significant features of marine insurance law in Belgium and other selected European legal systems” in Marine insurance: the law in transition / Thomas, D. Rhidian, London, Informa Publishing, 2006, p. 167-180.
6. “The Belgian law in relation to limitation of liability” in Limitation of liability for maritime claims, London, LLP, 2005.
7. Journal of international maritime law, Tijdschrift vervoer en recht (2004), p. 29.
8. “Limitation of liability and of action”, Lloyd's maritime and commercial law quarterly (2002), p. 370-381.
9. “Marine insurance law: a San Andreas fault between the common law and civil law” in Modern law of marine insurance / Rhidian, Thomas [edit.], London, Lloyd's of London Press, 2002, p. 335-361.
10. Port competitiveness: an economic and legal analysis of the factors determing the competitiveness of seaports, Huybrechts Marc A. [edit.], Meersman Hilde [edit.], Van de Voorde Eddy [edit.], Van Hooydonk Eric [edit.], Antwerp, De Boeck, 2002, 155 p.
11. Import, export, transport, Huybrechts Marc A., Misteli J.M., De ondernemer '98: praktisch jaarboek voor de bedrijfsleider - Antwerpen, Kluwer Rechtswetenschappen, 2001.
13. “The international safety management code from human failure to achievement”, European transport law, (1999), p. 17-35.
14. “A Belgian contribution to marine insurance: the Corvette policy”, in Marine insurance at the turn of the millenium / Huybrechts, Marc [edit.]; Hooydonk, Van, Eric [edit.]; Dieryck, Christian [edit.], Antwerp, Intersentia, 1999.
15. Marine insurance at the turn of the millennium, Huybrechts Marc A. [edit.], Dieryck Christian [edit.], Van Hooydonk Eric [edit.], Antwerpen, Intersentia, 1999, 432 p.
“The Belgian law in relation to limitation of liability” in Limitation of liability for maritime claims / Griggs, P. [edit.], London, LLP, 1998.